In 1906, John S. Armstrong, the former partner of Thomas Marsalis, who developed Oak Cliff, sold his meatpacking business and invested his money in the former Philadelphia Place land, to develop it under the name of Highland Park. Armstrong, along with his two sons-in-law, Edgar L. Flippen and Hugh E. Prather, Sr., began making plans for developing the area. Armstrong chose the name for the town as it was located on high land that overlooked downtown Dallas. In 1907, Wilbur David Cook, the landscape designer who planned Beverly Hills, California, was hired to design its layout. Notably, twenty percent of the original land was set aside for parks. The first two lots were sold in 1909, in an area bounded by Armstrong, Abbott and Gillon Avenues and Hackberry Creek. A second development in Highland Park was developed in 1910.
Highland Park’s 500 residents voted to incorporate on November 29, 1913. A third and a fourth development were added to the town west of Preston Road in 1915 and 1917. In 1919, the City of Dallas sought to annex Highland Park, beginning a lengthy controversy that lasted until 1945. J. W. Bartholow led the fight to resist the annexation. The final major land development occurred in 1924. In 1931, Highland Park Village was constructed, the first shopping center of its kind in the United States.
A town swimming pool serves all the residents of Highland Park by purchasing a yearly permit. Within the Town Hall is a town library. There are eight tennis courts located throughout the Town. The use of the courts is limited to resident permit holders and their guests. All of these add to the small town feel while living surrounded by Big D!
Highland Park Properties
Any home sales data appearing on this page is obtained from public record sources (or estimates, for non-disclosure states) as provided by OnBoard, LLC and does not comprise an appraisal or a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA). This information should not be used to replace a professional appraisal nor to determine the price of a particular property.