The Town of Flower Mound derived its name from it, it rises 650 feet above sea level, and it stands 50 feet above the surrounding countryside. Texas' eminent historian, the late A.C. Greene, believed the hill received its name in the 1840s because of an unusual amount of wild flowers that grew on it. Because early pioneer settlers used The Mound as a hay meadow and never plowed, the wild flowers were conspicuously abundant in wet springs. However, wildflowers and native prairie grasses flourish throughout the year. The non-profit Mound Foundation has identified more than 175 species of wild flowers.
Major growth of the area started in 1952 when the construction on Grapevine Lake began. The lake was completed in 1953 and has become a major recreational area in the community.
In 1961, The Town of Flower Mound incorporated to avoid being annexed by the City of Irving.
The town is mostly served by the Lewisville Independent School District. Other parts of Flower Mound are located in the Argyle Independent School District and Northwest Independent School District. The town is home to two high schools, Edward S. Marcus High School and the newer Flower Mound High School, both part of the Lewisville district.
Flower Mound Properties
Any home sales data appearing on this page is obtained from public record sources (or estimates, for non-disclosure states) as provided by OnBoard, LLC and does not comprise an appraisal or a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA). This information should not be used to replace a professional appraisal nor to determine the price of a particular property.